I picked up a bunch of diamond plate plastic from Plastruct product code: 91682. I started by cutting out various shapes and gluing them down to the base. I then added one layer of sand, not overlapping any of the plastic.
At this point, I wanted to make sure the sand looked like it was blowing over the edges of the decking. I layered on a second portion of sand over the edges of the decking and raised other areas of the sand to give it depth.
I then primed the models and started with the decking first.
- Based Tin Bitz
- Heavy drybrush of Dwarf Bronze
- Drybrush of Chainmail
- Washed with Devlan Mud
Now I let the ink dry for awhile and could start on the sand.
- First I drybrushed very lightly another coat of Chainmail to pick up the raised part of the decking
- Heavy coat of Khemri Brown on the sand
- Drybrush heavy Desert Sand
- Drybrush Bleached Bone
- Painted the lip of the base black (personal preference).
I'm happy with how they turned out. Simple but effective. I'll spend some time next stepping how I did the flesh tones. This weekend will be a lot of work around the house but I'm going to try and build some of my beastman Wrack substitutes so the Wyches have something to fight in the arena!