Monday, February 28, 2011

Scenic Bases: Inspiration for New Projects!

I am a big basing nerd.  Whether it's going to the local craft store to buy dried flowers or taking pictures when I'm on a hike with my wife (so I can recreate the look), I'm always thinking about them.  I think it really helps immerse someone in the miniature, really capture the feel.  Combined with a display board, you can really start to tell a story.  Ok, enough of my basing philosophy.

I thought I'd share some of the basing companies I've used when I want to cut some corners and have them do the work!  I also wanted to link a few of the bases I've seen sprung up that are making me dangerously close to starting a new army. I've linked each of the companies below, so feel free to scope them out for yourself.  I'm all about giving credit where credit is due!

For those of you that have been following my Blood Angels, I've been using Scibor Miniatures for the ruins.  I want to capture a jungle ruins theme.  Combined with a ton of dried flowers and plants (going to tackle that once the army is painted), I think they capture the look and feel I was going for.


Previously my Black Templar Army went for stone floor look.  I tried to bring out the temple floor and wanted a light color base to contrast the dark colors of the army.  I went with Back 2 Base-IX.  It really beat having to sculpt my own and saved a ton of time.



My next big 40k project will more then likely be the Death Korps of Krieg.  Since they're no cheap army to paint, I'm going to invest the time in not only painting them to a high level but basing.  My top three contenders for basing companies for the project are: Micro Art Studio, Secret Weapon Miniatures, and Dragonforge.  Let me know what you think.



Finally it comes a time where basing sometimes is so inspirational that I start an army just due to the basing!  I saw pictures of Micro Art Studio's new Eldar themed base.  It's a real toss-up between their's and Dragonforge.  Here are pictures of both, they look amazing.



Basing is probably the last thing most people think of when working on a project.  It's usually an afterthought.  I think there are so many options now to a hobbyist to take it to the next level. For a few extra $'s, you can make all the hard work that you've put into painting shine even more.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...