Monday, July 5, 2010

Empire State of Mind

Damn... hobby ADD strikes again.  I've been bitten by the Warhammer bug.  It's been 8 years since I've dabbled with Fantasy, and I think I'll give it another shot.  The challenege is painting en masse - I'm used to the individual nature of 40k painting. 

Here's my stab at the empire.  I wanted to keep a dirty feel - not too bright on the colors.  I saw a long time ago the city of Boghaffen; purple and dirty white.  Either that or Ostermark (purple and white?)

Using mainly foundation paints - foundation purple and dhneb stone were the base colors.  Quick highlight of white (on dhneb stone) and mixed in a little light purple then washed a black wash on the purple and devlan mud on the white.  Chainmail on the metal parts with a little burnished gold trim, and foundation red for accents.  Hit them both with a black wash.  Picked up the red with some blood red accents.  Flesh was simple.  Foundation Tallarn flesh with bleached bone highlights then washed with ogryn flesh wash.  Finally trimed off the black and did a little calthan brown on some hair.  Parchment & Skulls were bleached bone, white highlight and mud washed.

Simply done!  The purple photographed really dark - but that is the look I'm going with.  Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I think they look really nice. I like the dark, dirty, realistic look a lot.

    Bogenhafen, by the way, is the setting for the original Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay campaign book. It's not a large place, so wouldn't have much of an army, in all likelyhood. I think one of the empire army books had a 'Bogenhafen militiaman' or something like that as a little nod to fans of the game. I'm sure if you google 'Shadows over Bogenhafen you can find out more if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angelic Despot: Thanks for the info! I remember stumbling upon the colors awhile back and couldn't remember where. I'll look up the campaign book. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...