Monday, November 14, 2011

Shooty Black Templar

I had a great time at this last weekend playing with my Black Templar, and with the FAQ they can at least hang in this edition.  The piece that really surprised me is how much of a shooting list they can be if put together the right way.  It's inspired me to add to the list and play it some until the next version of 40k or a new codex chumps them. 

While reading the list, I could  use your thoughts on which vow to take.  My initial thought is that since the list is more geared to shooting, the extra psychic defense of "abhor the witch" with a 5+ save against psychic attacks directed at me would be the way to go.  The more I think about it though, I think it would help to have the preferred enemy vow.  That would help me actually do well in combat if forced.

I need to take the High Marshall to help with leadership 10 across the board, and he's in a rhino to keep the effect.  Having to take a leadership test to not shoot at the closest unit is rough and I need every point of LD possible.  Plus it sucks to only lose one guy and fail a leadership test and run off the board.  This happened to me twice over the weekend since my troops are only LD 8 since they can't take a sergeant. 

Here's the list I'm thinking of taking for an 1,850.

HQ: Emperor's Champion with preferred enemy vow
HQ: High Marshal with thunder hammer, storm shield and bionics.

Elite: 5 terminators with 2 Cyclone Launchers, 1 Chainfist (already modelled) with Tank Hunter
Elite: 5 terminators with 2 Cyclone Launchers with Tank Hunter
Elite: 5 terminators with 2 Cyclone Launchers with Tank Hunter

Troop: 5 Initiates with powerfist & meltagun, 4 Neophytes in Rhino with extra armor & smoke (Marshal rides here)
Troop: 5 Initiates with powerfist & meltagun, 4 Neophytes in Drop Pod (Champion rides here)
Troop: 5 Initiates with bolters, 1 lascannon
Troop: 5 Initiates with bolters, 1 lascannon

Fast: Land Speeder Typhoon
Fast: Land Speeder Typhoon
Fast: Land Speeder Typhoon

That's a lot of long range firepower.  That's effectively against tanks 14 strength 9 shots, 6 strength 8 shots, a couple of meltaguns and a lot of tank hunting storm bolters. I'm a little light on troops, but they can play conservatively.  Not the best in combat, but they can hold up against most with the exception of deathstars. The nice thing about all of the missiles is against hordes I can switch to frag missiles.  A very mobile long range shooty army. 

I'll need to paint up the rhino, 10 more assault terminators and 3 Typhoons.  I started assembling them last night. 

Additionally, I'll make a cool new cathedral display base.  This time I think I'm going to do some sort of old church / graveyard using some of the lord of the rings scenery which is awesome combined with the new garden of morr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...